Register FAQ SearchLogin
Tuxera Home
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 13:05

Windows8 users : please help 
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Windows8 users : please help
Hi,

Windows8 has brought a fast restart mode, akin to hibernation, with consequences which are not fully understood, so I am collecting information on the file system state after Windows8 has been shut down either

- by hibernation,
- by preparing to fast restart
- or by fully shutting down.

Posting the beginnings of /windows/hiberfil.sys and /windows/$LogFile in each circumstance may help determine which conditions are safe to mount as read-write on Linux :
Code:
# as root :
# mount in read-only mode (option ro)
# replace /windows by actual mount point
head -c 4096 /windows/hiberfil.sys | gzip > hiberfile.hibernated.gz
# mind the single quotes in command below (or escape the $)
head -c 4096 '/windows/$LogFile' | gzip > logfile.hibernated.gz

Please post your results as attachments.

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Pierre

Thu Aug 30, 2012 14:08

Post Re: Windows8 users : please help
Hello, I'm from french Ubuntu forum and I discover your request with this thread : http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=1023931

Fortunately i have recently installed a Dual booted Virtual machine with W8/Ubuntu 12.04 in order to testing fex things. So I think I can help ?

I followed your instruction like this and here's results :

fou hiberfile.hibernated.gz https://alter-it.org/ajaxplorer/data/public/3b03f186582e6b0f2355f5d499963470.php?lang=fr

It's the result for my first try with precisely this command : head -c 4096 /media/windows/hiberfil.sys | gzip > hiberfile.hibernated.gz .. my mount point is /media/windows ( sudo mount -o ro /media/windows /dev/sdaX )

the result seems to be empty .. I tried with head -c 4096 /media/windows/hiberfile.sys | gzip > hiberfile.hibernated.gz .. and the result is

Code:
root@sorrodje-VirtualBox:~# head -c 4096 /media/windows/hiberfile.sys | gzip > hiberfile.hibernated.gz
head: impossible d'ouvrir «/media/windows/hiberfile.sys» en lecture: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

other try with head -c 4096 /media/windows/hiberfil.sys | gzip > hiberfile.hibernated.gz ( without e at the end of hiberfil )

same result :

Code:
root@sorrodje-VirtualBox:~# head -c 4096 /media/windows/hiberfil.sys | gzip > hiberfile.hibernated.gz
head: impossible d'ouvrir «/media/windows/hiberfile.sys» en lecture: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

for LogFile , the result is here :

https://alter-it.org/ajaxplorer/data/public/03dabd3bc349f4b03ac236ac9399e410.php?lang=fr

Don't hesitate if You want me to make more tests :)

Fri Aug 31, 2012 14:40
NTFS-3G Lead Developer

Post Re: Windows8 users : please help
Hi,

Quote:
Fortunately i have recently installed a Dual booted Virtual machine with W8/Ubuntu 12.04 in order to testing fex things. So I think I can help ?

Merci beaucoup.
Quote:
It's the result for my first try with precisely this command : head -c 4096 /media/windows/hiberfil.sys | gzip > hiberfile.hibernated.gz .. my mount point is /media/windows ( sudo mount -o ro /media/windows /dev/sdaX )

Sometimes the file hiberfil.sys (must be spelt this way, no final e) is not present (it is never present on my own computer, that is part of the issue). On your system what are the options available on the "Power" menu (on mine there are only "Restart" and "Shut down").

Quote:
for LogFile , the result is here :

I got it, thanks. I however want to be sure this was collected while Windows8 was in hibernation (in which case I would expect the hiberfil.sys to be present).

Maybe I was not clear, I am expecting the file names to be meaningful of the state of Windows8 when the file was copied (hiberfile.hibernated.gz, hiberfile.shutdown.gz, hiberfil.fastrestart.gz, etc.)
Quote:
Don't hesitate if You want me to make more tests

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards

Jean-Pierre

Fri Aug 31, 2012 18:13